Skip to main content

Performance and Character - Walks - Joyful Child

First day of school 


I've been enjoying the 2-D animation process even though I'm really in the beginner phase and still struggle to animate even in rough. I do enjoy a challenge or maybe i just hurt myself, but i decided to the child's walk in a front perspective. 

Character Bio


Name: Aadam

Age: 3 

Height: 3'1

Weight: 31 lbs

Background: Born and raised in Manchester, obsessed with Spider-man 

Personality: Extremely talkative and quite bold 

Hobby: Spider-man

Occupation: Spider-man

Pets: Spider-man 

Friends & Family: Mother, father, large extended family and Spider-man 

Where is it set? Alma Park primary school

What is happening? excitedly sees him mother and waddles over wanting a big hug

Who’s there? Aadam, his mum and school teacher

Why is it happening? Its the first day of primary school for Aadam and hes been waiting patiently for his mum. 

Animating







My nephew is really the only child i know and could get a personal video reference for. The original clip and him running back and forth but i thought that it wouldn't fit the brief ( thinking of you Joe ) and the stumbling nature would take a lot of time to perfect, especially in a odd perspective. I showed Joe my reference and he said that the walk wasn't joyful enough but my sister didn't get round to sending me another video so i had to work with what i had and interpret the footage myself.



As per usual i would start off mapping out the extremes, so the end of each step for a walk, but because of this perspective and my really crude grid it was slightly challenging, so had to create one with a clearer perspective.



As you can see i had been drawing the character in different poses as i wanted to familiarise myself with the construction of the character and i was struggling to find a pose with a strong silhouette that conveys joy clearly.




I really liked this animation, i felt like the arms swinging really conveyed the emotion as well as the little bounce in her she does. I'm not sure why but the walk feels feminine but it could be just the design overriding my brain, also because the animation is spinning its difficult to see the silhouette.







I watched Incredibles 2 and jack jack was the character that stood out the most with me, they produced a really great performance out him so looking through the scenes i could find i hope i would find a happy walk. In the middle of this battle scene, jack jack discovers he has laser beams and is very excited about this discovery, so i paused it a copied the poses which i thought showed his happiness the most.








To make sure that i had the mid points fairly accurate, i remembered watching this AMB video of him animating a jump in perspective. I find this guy really inspirational and aspire to be as good as him if not better. After this I put in the ups and downs which was more challenging than usual mainly because of the perspective and remembering that things closer get larger and if its further away it gets smaller.



I'm pleased with how this turned out even though that its still in the rough stage, but the potential is there for clean up and a strong animation. I do feel that the first step is too large, and i wanted to convey a hard stomp but couldn't really show that. Perhaps in the future when I've improved as an animator i will be able to do this 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pendulum - Stop mo

First off I have to start by staying this was definitely the most painful day I've experienced. The unforgiving nature of stop motion angers me to a level I can't understand. I will learn to love this as I can see the benefits and skills it teaches, a real life practical application of timing and spacing. Joe and Johnny always say don't start an animation without planning so I've been strictly abiding by those rules, which tends to mean I spend a good amount of time planning before I even enter the stop motion room.  This being my second pendulum animation, I decided it would be best this time to have an actual video reference which was a crude video of a pen swinging from some headphones, I was in a public space so it was a bit embarrassing to record. From the video what I learned was how the pendulum comes to a stop, the swings a short obviously but they are incredibly slow, and moving in other directions rather than just left to right.  I did a bar she

Using indesign

Another program I'm going to haven't to get to grips using. I don't know why most of the features are so different to Photoshop where I'm sure it would be easy enough to do the same thing. But alas we have been told to learn this program. Johnny showed me a way to get the master pages numbered, but for some reason it wasn't working for me. I guess i must of done something wrong but i couldn't figure it out even after an extreme google search. So i did the next best thing and asked Kira how to do it and she showed me a different method but it work fine and i think it was easier to remember.  so her method was to use the rectangular frame tool  then use the text tool inside that frame right click and place a special character in for the current page number. It did exactly what johnny had showed me.  these are some inspirational magazine articles i found that i would like my final design to look like. 

Perspective 1

Honestly I cant understand how I've become so bad at perspective. Maybe it's I used to do from a full technical way and I never really did it free hand. But even still I'm shock how hard i found it and it looks so shit I think it's kind of good in a way. Finding my weakness and strengthening them will only help me as an artist. Need to do further research either by ready books or watching YouTube videos and practice, practice and more practice. I hated doing the floor plan. Working out the measurements and scale did my head in. I'm pretty good at this, better than perspective anyway but I know 100% this isn't what I want to do.