Skip to main content

James' Balls and other parts - Making of - A.E sessions

After effects sessions


Ball bounces and pendulum 


Annabeth and Jame thought it would be best to teach the class the basics of after effects and have us all have a basic under standing of the software. I was fairly familiar with after effects as there's is almost an endless supply of tutorials online but I think shows the depth that after effects can go into. We started off with simple functional animations such as the ball bounce and pendulum, i wish that we learned this last year as it was far easier to in after effects, and i think would of assisted me in stop mo and definitely in Maya. 




As you can see the graphs are much clearer and i think easier to understand, this kind of knowledge is really useful as most people would think this is really complicated but to us animators this is much friendlier to us. 


As well as the ball we did a pendulum, and furthered that and made a leg with moving parts using the bone tool. I had layered my leg wrong so i had a problem making it move. I think with a bit of small research i could develop this a lot and create simple rigged characters easily in after effects.




Green-screen pt 2


Furthering the green-screen from last year, James showed us how to correct problems if the green-screen is bad or you wanted to track something. This process was close to rotoscoping and something we should know how to do but its not something i want to pursue. However the files for the after effects files have gone and i couldn't review the work over again, here are some videos i found that explain the session. 




Colour correction 


I would say this was the most difficult session and i think my sense of colour is poor and i couldn't really get the work to look clean, it came out as really filtered and yellow. He showed us how to use the Lumetri colour effects and play with the RGB curves, luma, hue etc. The footage for this was lost as well so the after effect file was unusable. The after effects website has a really nice explanation and in depth explanation of Lumetri effect. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/after-effects/using/color-correction-effects.html

Audio animation 


This was definitely my least favorite session as i had done something similar for a context brief last year and really hated doing it then. It was just a matter of converting the auto into key-frames and linking that to shapes that we made. I found a link to a site which explains it deeper with a step by step guide.


https://www.macprovideo.com/article/after-effects/animating-with-sound-in-after-effects-part-1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pendulum - Stop mo

First off I have to start by staying this was definitely the most painful day I've experienced. The unforgiving nature of stop motion angers me to a level I can't understand. I will learn to love this as I can see the benefits and skills it teaches, a real life practical application of timing and spacing. Joe and Johnny always say don't start an animation without planning so I've been strictly abiding by those rules, which tends to mean I spend a good amount of time planning before I even enter the stop motion room.  This being my second pendulum animation, I decided it would be best this time to have an actual video reference which was a crude video of a pen swinging from some headphones, I was in a public space so it was a bit embarrassing to record. From the video what I learned was how the pendulum comes to a stop, the swings a short obviously but they are incredibly slow, and moving in other directions rather than just left to right.  I did a bar she

Using indesign

Another program I'm going to haven't to get to grips using. I don't know why most of the features are so different to Photoshop where I'm sure it would be easy enough to do the same thing. But alas we have been told to learn this program. Johnny showed me a way to get the master pages numbered, but for some reason it wasn't working for me. I guess i must of done something wrong but i couldn't figure it out even after an extreme google search. So i did the next best thing and asked Kira how to do it and she showed me a different method but it work fine and i think it was easier to remember.  so her method was to use the rectangular frame tool  then use the text tool inside that frame right click and place a special character in for the current page number. It did exactly what johnny had showed me.  these are some inspirational magazine articles i found that i would like my final design to look like. 

Perspective 1

Honestly I cant understand how I've become so bad at perspective. Maybe it's I used to do from a full technical way and I never really did it free hand. But even still I'm shock how hard i found it and it looks so shit I think it's kind of good in a way. Finding my weakness and strengthening them will only help me as an artist. Need to do further research either by ready books or watching YouTube videos and practice, practice and more practice. I hated doing the floor plan. Working out the measurements and scale did my head in. I'm pretty good at this, better than perspective anyway but I know 100% this isn't what I want to do.