Skip to main content

Sherm Cohen - Story boarding genius

Johnny recomendded watching this hour long video on storyboarding and i think annabeth did also, at first i was dreadding watching the whole thing but suprisingly i enjoyed the whole thing and was very disapointed that the final fifteen minutes were him selling his course. nonetheless this video explained susticntly a fanstasitc way of approaching a story board, as well as taking notes throughout the video, i also tried to copy along with the sketches he was doing. This blog is just a summary of the 7 points he made.





       1.  Stepping foward -

        Firstly he explains that your storyboard should follow 'film grammar' a type of progression of shots that have shown to be effective in captivating audiences. He does state that it is a pattern and not a perscription. The shots he mentions are:

  • Establing shot (where we are)
  • Full shot 
  • Medium shot 
  • close up 

These shots are trypically used to show a furthing of a story. He calls this 'Stepping foward' and only to step with one or two at a time. He briefly states when showing the audience new information, you should typically regress the shot and that the medium shot is your 'home base'

The medium shot is also used for conversations between characters. 
Sherms makes a point of re-establishing when a scene has gone on for too long, the full shot or establishing shot should be used for this.

He also makes a point on staging and how it gives the character and the adience soemhig to folllow. The key point he makes is that focus on what the most importabing thing in that moment and that should be the what you are stepping into




       2.  The tease
        
             Instead of starting off with a typical establishing shot, you start off with a close up and go straight into an action. Then stepping back to say a full shot and showing the audience what/why the action happened. Sherm suggests that playing with the audicenes perceotion is this moments add for a greater effect. 




       3.  Insert shot

            The instert shot a form of close up, where the audience is being shown more inside information of the scene. This is normally followed by a reaction shot so the audience knows why they should care about this new information.


       4. Corresponding shots.

           A more obvious point but a very important one. Its important to keep the sizes of characters and the scene consistent as well as the angles used. Such a conversation between a tall character and a short one. Having the camera looking up at both of them, doesnt make a correstponding shot. The only example i can think that would oppose this if you were trying to show power or status of a character. 

        5. 3/5 Transition 

            A type of transition used instead of fade out or wipe. The point is the add small quick shots of a the environment to indiacte a change in storyline. At first i didnt really understand what sherm meant by this, but then i was watching some casey neinstat viedos and i didnt realise how seamlessly he used this kind of transistion. Also he uses it  at the start of a lot his videos but in a very subtle way. i perticalrarly like this video because its all fight club.




     

       6. Time compression

            cut down on the amount of shots your characer is travelling to save time. Keeping your audience engaged is super important, so staying away from boring and monotonous actions is important. Keeping a visual veriety helps in keeping the auiences attention. 



        7. POV
         
            If you want to use a pov shot in your story, there are three simple stages that you should follow. 1) have the character look off screen. 2) what the character is looking at (pov). 3) Resolve the shot by going back at the character.
                 











          





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pendulum - Stop mo

First off I have to start by staying this was definitely the most painful day I've experienced. The unforgiving nature of stop motion angers me to a level I can't understand. I will learn to love this as I can see the benefits and skills it teaches, a real life practical application of timing and spacing. Joe and Johnny always say don't start an animation without planning so I've been strictly abiding by those rules, which tends to mean I spend a good amount of time planning before I even enter the stop motion room.  This being my second pendulum animation, I decided it would be best this time to have an actual video reference which was a crude video of a pen swinging from some headphones, I was in a public space so it was a bit embarrassing to record. From the video what I learned was how the pendulum comes to a stop, the swings a short obviously but they are incredibly slow, and moving in other directions rather than just left to right.  I did a bar she

Using indesign

Another program I'm going to haven't to get to grips using. I don't know why most of the features are so different to Photoshop where I'm sure it would be easy enough to do the same thing. But alas we have been told to learn this program. Johnny showed me a way to get the master pages numbered, but for some reason it wasn't working for me. I guess i must of done something wrong but i couldn't figure it out even after an extreme google search. So i did the next best thing and asked Kira how to do it and she showed me a different method but it work fine and i think it was easier to remember.  so her method was to use the rectangular frame tool  then use the text tool inside that frame right click and place a special character in for the current page number. It did exactly what johnny had showed me.  these are some inspirational magazine articles i found that i would like my final design to look like. 

Perspective 1

Honestly I cant understand how I've become so bad at perspective. Maybe it's I used to do from a full technical way and I never really did it free hand. But even still I'm shock how hard i found it and it looks so shit I think it's kind of good in a way. Finding my weakness and strengthening them will only help me as an artist. Need to do further research either by ready books or watching YouTube videos and practice, practice and more practice. I hated doing the floor plan. Working out the measurements and scale did my head in. I'm pretty good at this, better than perspective anyway but I know 100% this isn't what I want to do.