Skip to main content

Green screening

I think I enjoy Annabeth's classes the most because I feel like I learn something new every time we have a session with her. Today's class was about green screening and compositing. I loved the demonstration video that Annabeth showed us, it was clips for a green screen competition featuring Jean Claude van dam from a few years back. The man is terrible actor but I just find him so funny.

Image result for funny jean claude van damme

 When Annabeth showed us how to use after effects to composite the green screen out, maybe it's because I was sort of familiar to using after effects, I found the whole process so surprisingly easy. The only thing that looked slightly difficult is having to rotoscope certain areas of the green screen if there was any colour change, because an explosion in one of the clips and it slightly effected the background. She also mentioned that it was an easy way to get a job because no one wants to do it and they need a lot of people to do it, it definitely not something I would want to do but I have been thinking about going in to some special effects and I think learning how to rotoscoping quickly will help in the future. Green screening would be essential for stop motion as you would unable to shoot in an actual outdoor setting, I've been subject to watching a lot of twirlywoo because i have a 1 year old nephew who loves the show and for me its a great time to analyse how they are execution the animation, because the animation level is very high in my opinion 


  After we had our break we were told to meet in the studio downstairs for an induction. I really hate inductions but I see the purpose, there be chaos without it. The guy in charge of the studio space was called ash, and he was explaining to take care of the studio and some light features. He demonstration was half good half bad. The good half was Ash demonstrating to get a campfire effect by using a red light and placed cut out orange and yellow plastic, Alex was the actor in the demo and he was amazing as always.



The bad half was the induction because I know i'll have to take it again if I ever want to use the green screen another time and was Ash was telling us all of the safety regulations. Also he kept mentioning something that Joe had been saying; don't fix it in post, fix it on set. He also showed us a music video he was editing for something like 3 years, I can see how much work he put and felt somewhat sad when he said he was the only one working on it and that he had to learn after effects by himself, something I could relate to as I had to learn after effects for my FMP last year. Like most of the inductions I thought they would of been finished in less than half the time that it actually took. We were supposed to do some demos after break but I didn't feel like staying, something I regret because I left my cap in the studio and it was my favourite Lucario one.




I really had no difficulty in keying out the green screen but i didn't really want to make a full scene of jean claude van damme.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pendulum - Stop mo

First off I have to start by staying this was definitely the most painful day I've experienced. The unforgiving nature of stop motion angers me to a level I can't understand. I will learn to love this as I can see the benefits and skills it teaches, a real life practical application of timing and spacing. Joe and Johnny always say don't start an animation without planning so I've been strictly abiding by those rules, which tends to mean I spend a good amount of time planning before I even enter the stop motion room.  This being my second pendulum animation, I decided it would be best this time to have an actual video reference which was a crude video of a pen swinging from some headphones, I was in a public space so it was a bit embarrassing to record. From the video what I learned was how the pendulum comes to a stop, the swings a short obviously but they are incredibly slow, and moving in other directions rather than just left to right.  I did a bar she

Using indesign

Another program I'm going to haven't to get to grips using. I don't know why most of the features are so different to Photoshop where I'm sure it would be easy enough to do the same thing. But alas we have been told to learn this program. Johnny showed me a way to get the master pages numbered, but for some reason it wasn't working for me. I guess i must of done something wrong but i couldn't figure it out even after an extreme google search. So i did the next best thing and asked Kira how to do it and she showed me a different method but it work fine and i think it was easier to remember.  so her method was to use the rectangular frame tool  then use the text tool inside that frame right click and place a special character in for the current page number. It did exactly what johnny had showed me.  these are some inspirational magazine articles i found that i would like my final design to look like. 

Perspective 1

Honestly I cant understand how I've become so bad at perspective. Maybe it's I used to do from a full technical way and I never really did it free hand. But even still I'm shock how hard i found it and it looks so shit I think it's kind of good in a way. Finding my weakness and strengthening them will only help me as an artist. Need to do further research either by ready books or watching YouTube videos and practice, practice and more practice. I hated doing the floor plan. Working out the measurements and scale did my head in. I'm pretty good at this, better than perspective anyway but I know 100% this isn't what I want to do.