Skip to main content

A-B and Slow in Slow out - Stop Motion

I think Tuesdays have been set aside for stop-motion and after experiencing it for the first time, i think i'll be needed the full day if not more when the work becomes more intense. The principle they asked us do was A-B and it wasn't very challenging to do. I would say for next I'm working on stop motion I would need a much longer ruler. I found that it was very difficult to draw a feint accurate line for the block to follow. I ended up using a long plastic light protector which had straight lines, and it worked sufficiently. I do think the A-B wasn't perfect and had a few bumps that need to be ironed out.


absm from muntasir chowdhurry on Vimeo.

 I was the first one in and slowly most of the class we in doing their work. It was slightly distracting as a Axel and Ceiran wanted to have a chat, me and Axel ended up adding arms and hair for the block i was using, we named him frank. I was feeling confident at this point and wanted to take on the challenge of slow in and slow out. The first attempt, i would deem a failure. I got the spacing completely wrong and so the whole animation was too quick and didn't give enough feeling of slow in and slow out. 



slwinslwout1 from muntasir chowdhurry on Vimeo.

I was quite fortunate that Holly was still in studio also working on slow in and slow out. She said that Joe had told her that to achieve the slow in and out effect the spacing should be minimal in the beginning and very gradually build up to the desired speed and the same for slow out. Immediately you could see dramatic improvement in the quality of the acceleration and deceleration. I was quite pleased with the outcome and gave it another go immediately so i would have a second attempt at the principle as well as getting the animation to become a loop. At this point i was a little worn out but ready to continue and experiment with the block, so i decided a lunch break was needed. I had a sandwich to eat so i just stayed in the room and had a chat with holly. When i was ready to continue i clicked on the program and nothing was working. At this point i was in state of shock and panic. My A-B was safe but i wasn't sure how much of the slow in and slow was saved. I was hoping even just for one length to be saved but i couldn't find anything, even when i went looking for anyone who could help but there was no one in. At this point i was bubbling and boiling with frustration that most of days work was now gone. I decided to open the program again and hope that i could find more of the work i had lost and when i opened recently opened tab, I saw franks name and knew i had found my work. The only thing that was in the end was the final frame and hold, and at this point i didn't really care. I know for next time saving and where it saves should be consistently checked. Also maybe for next time a bar sheet could in handy as i want to attempt the anticipation.  



slwinslwoutloop from muntasir chowdhurry on Vimeo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pendulum - Stop mo

First off I have to start by staying this was definitely the most painful day I've experienced. The unforgiving nature of stop motion angers me to a level I can't understand. I will learn to love this as I can see the benefits and skills it teaches, a real life practical application of timing and spacing. Joe and Johnny always say don't start an animation without planning so I've been strictly abiding by those rules, which tends to mean I spend a good amount of time planning before I even enter the stop motion room.  This being my second pendulum animation, I decided it would be best this time to have an actual video reference which was a crude video of a pen swinging from some headphones, I was in a public space so it was a bit embarrassing to record. From the video what I learned was how the pendulum comes to a stop, the swings a short obviously but they are incredibly slow, and moving in other directions rather than just left to right.  I did a bar she

Using indesign

Another program I'm going to haven't to get to grips using. I don't know why most of the features are so different to Photoshop where I'm sure it would be easy enough to do the same thing. But alas we have been told to learn this program. Johnny showed me a way to get the master pages numbered, but for some reason it wasn't working for me. I guess i must of done something wrong but i couldn't figure it out even after an extreme google search. So i did the next best thing and asked Kira how to do it and she showed me a different method but it work fine and i think it was easier to remember.  so her method was to use the rectangular frame tool  then use the text tool inside that frame right click and place a special character in for the current page number. It did exactly what johnny had showed me.  these are some inspirational magazine articles i found that i would like my final design to look like. 

Perspective 1

Honestly I cant understand how I've become so bad at perspective. Maybe it's I used to do from a full technical way and I never really did it free hand. But even still I'm shock how hard i found it and it looks so shit I think it's kind of good in a way. Finding my weakness and strengthening them will only help me as an artist. Need to do further research either by ready books or watching YouTube videos and practice, practice and more practice. I hated doing the floor plan. Working out the measurements and scale did my head in. I'm pretty good at this, better than perspective anyway but I know 100% this isn't what I want to do.