Skip to main content

Pixilation

The day started off in the base room, the randomness of where we start the day always confuses me. Maybe there is a routine but it's not something I've picked up on. Annabeth told us the actual function of tilt shift, my stupid self thought it was just an Instagram filter. The effect was strongest from above and gave the illusion that everything as toys, I'm still confused on how that it actually worked but it could be something we use in the city brief when we start working on it. She then showed use some videos using pixilation such as a Peter Gabriel music video which I thought was directed brilliantly, she also mentioned that Jan Svankmajer also used this technique, which makes sense because pixilation is essentially the stop motion illusion in real life.



Darkness Light Darkness (1990) by Jan Svankmajer (mp4 360p) from Ron Schijfs on Vimeo.

 I was sitting in the back next to Indya and we got separated into groups so we got paired up which i was quite happy with because I hadn't been in a group with Indya yet. However we needed two more members and Annabeth gave us Kez and Keiran, something I knew it would not work out great as they don't get along. I get Kez is hard for people to tolerate and understand but he doesn't tell anyone he's autistic and I think it help the situation so much if he did. He didn't help the situation at all as he basically refused to work, same went for Keiran who didn't want to work either, so we just left them to participate when they felt like it.


Image result for do some work meme

 Me and Indya weren't too bothered and we just started brainstorming ideas, and we decided that using paper elements would be easiest while also giving a good visual effect. The idea we initially had was to unzip a jacket and have paper organs fall out, but we kind of realised that it would difficult to do in the small amount of time we had so we refined to it so that the guy has a broken heart.  I tried to force Kez to the actor for the video, and he surprisingly agreed but he was too tall and was moving too quickly for the effect to look good. Indya was already on camera duty so it was left to me to be the actor, and I think I did it well but I was smiling in some frames so my face was kind of jumping around. I was so glad to have Indya in my group because I don't know if I could haven't handled Kez and Kerian without her. After shooting we took a break and some guy approached us asking to be part of an audience for this radio demo they were doing in 10 minutes, we went and it was some truth or lie game. It was pretty amusing but because they didn't seem to know what to do and they were all super nervous. If they did it again I would definitely go again because I didn't get to do my truth or lie but I won the general knowledge section and won a degree so I guess I don't be to come to university anymore. Also when Annabeth was showing us how to composit the images in Premiere, she stressed earlier not to delete frames because it be a headache later. The only group who didn't delete frames was ours and that as because Indya was on camera duty and we finished our work even before Annabeth had finished the lecture.



Pixelation. from Indya Naylor on Vimeo.

 I was quite fortune to have Indya but if it was just me, Kez and Cerian I genuinely wouldn't; know what to do. I can tell the groups we are in are going to be key in the quality of the work we produce but I don't want that to be the case, I want to be able to work with anyone in the class and produce work I'm proud of,  but maybe I'm being naive.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pendulum - Stop mo

First off I have to start by staying this was definitely the most painful day I've experienced. The unforgiving nature of stop motion angers me to a level I can't understand. I will learn to love this as I can see the benefits and skills it teaches, a real life practical application of timing and spacing. Joe and Johnny always say don't start an animation without planning so I've been strictly abiding by those rules, which tends to mean I spend a good amount of time planning before I even enter the stop motion room.  This being my second pendulum animation, I decided it would be best this time to have an actual video reference which was a crude video of a pen swinging from some headphones, I was in a public space so it was a bit embarrassing to record. From the video what I learned was how the pendulum comes to a stop, the swings a short obviously but they are incredibly slow, and moving in other directions rather than just left to right.  I did a bar she

Using indesign

Another program I'm going to haven't to get to grips using. I don't know why most of the features are so different to Photoshop where I'm sure it would be easy enough to do the same thing. But alas we have been told to learn this program. Johnny showed me a way to get the master pages numbered, but for some reason it wasn't working for me. I guess i must of done something wrong but i couldn't figure it out even after an extreme google search. So i did the next best thing and asked Kira how to do it and she showed me a different method but it work fine and i think it was easier to remember.  so her method was to use the rectangular frame tool  then use the text tool inside that frame right click and place a special character in for the current page number. It did exactly what johnny had showed me.  these are some inspirational magazine articles i found that i would like my final design to look like. 

Perspective 1

Honestly I cant understand how I've become so bad at perspective. Maybe it's I used to do from a full technical way and I never really did it free hand. But even still I'm shock how hard i found it and it looks so shit I think it's kind of good in a way. Finding my weakness and strengthening them will only help me as an artist. Need to do further research either by ready books or watching YouTube videos and practice, practice and more practice. I hated doing the floor plan. Working out the measurements and scale did my head in. I'm pretty good at this, better than perspective anyway but I know 100% this isn't what I want to do.